NUSU’s Executive Committee is entirely composed of Nipissing University students elected by their peers. The Executive Committee is composed of 5 elected students who work full-time during the summer and part-time during the school year, in conjunction with the staff. They are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the corporation. Their duties include overseeing the operations of the Student Union, as well as representing and advocating for the student body within the university, community, and even at a national level.
Accountability is provided by the elected Student Board of Directors who debate, amend and approve all major decisions proposed by NUSU Executives and Staff.
The Executive Committee has 5 positions:
- Vice-President Finance
- Vice-President Governance & Legal Affairs
- Vice-President Communications
- Vice-President Services
These positions were created in 2015 after years of having positions named VP External, VP Internal, VP Student Life and VP Satellite. With the announcement of the closing of the Muskoka Campus the VP Satellite position has been absorbed making all 5 Executive positions now at the North Bay Campus.
These positions are paid positions and elections are held annually for students to decide whom they want to represent them.
If you are interested in applying for any of these positions in the future and want to know more information please contact Sydney Lamorea at [email protected]
© Brendan O’Connor- Photographer
Here are the job descriptions of each Executive role:
POSITION DESCRIPTION- PRESIDENT
POSITION DESCRIPTION – VPGLA
POSITION DESCRIPTION – VP FINANCE
POSITION DESCRIPTION- VP COMMUNICATIONS
POSITION DESCRIPTION – VP SERVICES
The 2017/2018 Executives are:
PRESIDENT: SYDNEY LAMOREA
Hello, my name is Sydney Lamorea and I am honoured to have been elected your NUSU President for the 2017-2018 academic year with such an amazing team of individuals!
Nipissing University is a great place full of opportunities and amazing individuals. Being from North Bay, I was so excited when I received my acceptance letter and was given the opportunity to become a part of the Laker family. Now, almost two*5 years later, I am a part of an organization on campus that advocates on behalf of all students and helps maintain that environment of acceptance, awareness and inclusivity I admired growing up. Here at NUSU, we aim to provide all students with the opportunities for social growth and academic excellence, through our clubs and programming. My goals for this year is to keep moving forward and add to the fabric that is Nipissing University, and with my team, ensure all students have a positive experience during their time here that makes them proud to call themselves a Laker.
I encourage any and all students to come to the NUSU office and chat if you any feedback or questions about how to get involved on campus or in the community, or just about NUSU and Nipissing in general. My door is always open and I look forward to meeting you!
- CEO and oversees general management and supervision
- Chairperson for Executive and Board of Director meetings
- Representative on the NU Board of Governors to sit or provide reports
- Representative on NU Academic Senate to sit or provide reports
- Responsible for all relations with each level of government
- Signing authority of Material Agreements as approved by BOD with another Executive member (two signatories required)
- Discretionary line for budget
VP FINANCE: SHANE DUNSTALL
Hello students of Nipissing.
My name is Shane and I’ll be your VP Finance for the 2017/2018 academic year. I was born and raised in Mississauga, Ontario, so I’ve spent most of my life being accustomed to city life. I moved to North Bay four years ago to begin my degree in Business Administration, and soon after I decided to stream into Accounting. Since then, I’ve decided to also stream in Marketing and work towards acquiring my CPA designation.
I am thankful to have been given the opportunity to represent the students alongside the rest of this executive team. While there have been some hurdles with organization in the past, many of them have been quelled thanks to the hard work of our past executives and current staff. There are some pretty substantial irons in the fire, and we can’t wait to see them come to fruition!
- Treasurer of the Corporation
- Makes recommendations to the Executives regarding the financials, then the Executives collectively make the final decision
- Work with Director of Finance or Bookkeeper to ensure the financials are allocated and spent accordingly
- Endorses all cheques and purchase orders with the President or one other Executive
- Reports to Board of Directors any financial decisions made on behalf of the Board by the Executives
- Responsible for Health Plan Fees
- Presents year-to-date financial statements and the budget at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and to the Board of Directors
- Represents NUSU on the Board of Governors committee
VP GOVERNANCE & LEGAL AFFAIRS: COOPER ALLEN
Thank you for electing me for the position of Vice-President Governance and Legal Affairs for the term May 1st, 2017 – April 30th, 2018. I am humbled to have the opportunity to represent our student body both at the University and in the community and sincerely look forward to working for you throughout the year.
Ultimately, I am looking to follow NUSU’s mission statement as closely as possible. “We strive to promote academic excellence and social growth through various programming and advocacy in an environment of acceptance, inclusivity, and transparency.” My goal is to represent the best interests of Nipissing students through a strong work ethic and great communication skills. I believe that in collaboration with fellow Executives, faculty and the administration, we can work together to make sure that the student voice is of utmost importance to the University.
If you are looking to get involved, have any suggestions, grievances, or would like to know what NUSU can do for you, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Whether you drop by the office (F205), send me an email ([email protected]) or find me on social media, I look forward to hearing from you. We are always looking for suggestions as to how we can improve our operations to better serve the student body.
Best of luck this upcoming school year and go Lakers!
VP Governance and Legal Affairs
- The Secretary of NUSU
- May complete the duties and obligations of the President in their absence or inability to perform their duties
- Looks after academic grievances
- Chief Student Senator at Academic Senate
- Either sit on, or deliver reports to Boards and Committees
- Responsible for Elections for Student Senator, Valedictorian and Ancillary Fee referenda
- Represent NUSU on the Board of Governors committee
VP COMMUNICATIONS: TYREL SOMERVILLE
My name is Tyrel Somerville. I am a Health and Physical Education student minoring in Human Resources and Business. I am in the last two years of my degree and I am really excited to be representing all of you for the 2017-2018 academic year. I am actively involved in the community as a volunteer with both St. John’s Ambulance as a Medical First Responder and as a Victim Services Nipissing District volunteer but don’t worry NUSU is my top priority!
For those of you who don’t know I am the representative between the students at Nipissing University and the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS). I have an open door policy and I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback as a student. I provide a positive space for all students and am able to help support and direct students with any concerns they might have.
Thank you for voting me in as your Vice-President Communications and thank you in advance for the wonderful year we will have moving forward.
- Creating and overseeing the NUSU Student Handbook
- Responsible for communications such as the website, social media and all media platforms
- Attend all general meetings of the Canadian Federation of Students and is primary liaison
- Organize and coordinate all awareness and motivational campaigns
- Promotes and addresses student concerns in regard to the Health and Dental Plan
- Assists the Director of Communications with their duties
- Assist others with all public and media relations such as press releases, official statements and stances on matters
VP SERVICES: J'AIME BRUNET
My name is J’aime Brunet and I am your VP Services for the 2017/2018 term. I’m in my second year of my undergrad at Nipissing, working to earn my degree in Concurrent Education with an honours double major in Psychology and English studies and a minor in French.
I am looking forward to working with and planning events for you all this year! One of my goals in my term is to reach out for feedback from students so I can plan events and student activities that students want. I also plan on working to make stronger connections throughout our campus. I am open to suggestions and ideas so you are always welcome to stop by the NUSU office to chat!
Let’s have a great year!
- Either sit on, or deliver reports to Boards and Committees
- Responsible for the planning of orientation, transition days, Frosh Week activities, fundraisers and Fall & Spring Open House events
- Direct and facilitate social and academic events with the help of the Social Committee
- Ensures that the Food Bank is stocked at all times
- Manages club programs on campus
- Chairperson for the Social Committee